When it comes to marketing on Instagram, you can subscribe to a lot of theories on what works, but the one common thread among all marketers, and the research, is that your Instagram campaigns live and die with the quality of your Instagram photos.
Better Instagram photos = more views, more likes, more engagement and more sales.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at 3 ways to improve your marketing on Instagram, through better Instagram photos:
How To Improve Your Instagram Photos
- Use Your Phone’s Native Camera App
Using your phone’s camera is a better option than using Instagram’s camera. This is especially true if you have a newer version of the iPhone or Samsung Galaxy, both of which come with powerful cameras.
Why is your phone’s camera better than Instagram’s?
- You can take photos without filters
- You can edit photos much more easily, and much more quickly, in your phone’s native camera app and editing software
- You can set your phone’s cam to take pics that are 640 x 640, making them perfect for Instagram without having to crop
- Most phones have more powerful zoom, clearer pictures, and better lighting
- The free, or near-free, photo editing apps on smart phones are actually pretty powerful, and can help you enhance lighting, focus, remove red-eye, and make your IG pictures clear and eye-catching
Interesting Instagram Photos Excel
- Take Pictures of Interesting Things
This should be obvious, but we’ve all unfollowed a brand (or person) that insists on posting boring photos.
No matter what your product or service, there are opportunities to post photos of really dynamic content that will engage your followers.
- Before and after pics work well for weight loss products, home improvements, design, graphics, and clothing stores.
- Photos of your product being modeled are always a safe bet. Research shows that including a human face in a picture of a product increase views (and sales). Have great clothes you’re selling? Put it on a model that is a slightly idealized version of your customer and do a photo shoot. One shoot can give you a strong catalogue of content.
- Cool places – if you are an adventure traveler, restaurant, or you sell lifestyle, pictures of nature, especially breathtaking views, always perform well on Instagram
- Food – we all love to look at pictures of food. If the pictures are bright, clear, and the food is colorful. This should be a no-brainer for restaurants. But, next time you’re on Instagram, check out how many clothing and watch dealers use food in their photo shoots. Elegant coffee displays are the focus of a picture, but the watch on the wrist of the woman with her hand poised on the cup is the real draw.
Instagram Photos Of People Are Most Liked
- Use Instagram Photos of People
This can be applied to using models, or taking pictures of your staff having fun, working, or doing interesting things.
Remember, Instagram is simply another marketing channel. No matter where you’re selling, people want to buy from people, not faceless corporations. This is why product images featuring faces do so well. It’s also why any marketer worth a damn will tell you to include pictures of your staff on your website’s About page. Put a face on your Instagram and your brand identification (and sales) will grow.